Wednesday, September 19, 2007

OK. I somehow lost all my old journal entries that I was going to post...so here is a quick re-cap.

- Moved to my new site to the mountainous region of Manchester. I'm in Christiana working for a farming co-op who are trying to implement the use of greenhouses and protected agriculture throughout Jamaica.

- it's freaking freezing up here...seriously it gets cold.
-I've moved up in my social status....from whitie to brownie...it's a nice compliment.
- Oh I went through Hurricane Dean sealed off in the bomb proof/sound proof US Embassy. It was really uneventful.
- I was sworn in as a volunteer in the embassy....some people wore pjs, some dresses. I opted for jeans and high-heels. had to fulfill my image of a girly girl, right?
- Then we got put up in a "posh" hotel.....that subsequently caught on fire. Did I mention our hotel caught on fire? Yeah.
- Then I got a tease of being able to stay at the Hilton, eating lobster and sushi....didn't last. I went to the Nuttsford and had intermittent power.
-Since then it's been the day to day lessons of living in Jamaica.

the rest of this soon come.....

3 comments:

LADY ROOTS said...

Blessed Love, Princess,

May your time here in Jamaica be peaceful, productive and informative.

Re: your presumed move up in social status. The actual term is "browning" not brownie.

I live in St. Elizabeth, but I am in Mandeville at least once a week on tech support calls. Do you have safe transport from Christiana to Mandeville?

Thank you for any positive contribution you make to the upliftment of Jamaica, Land We Love.

Bless Up,
Lady Roots
http://voicefromjamaica.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hi from a PCV in The Gambia.
I'm considering extending to Jamaica when I'm done here so am looking for insight. I have a lot of work experience in Jamaica, so I'm more looking for information on the operation of Peace Corps itself there. What's admin like? Do they normally allow extensions from other countries and on what terms? (Since every CD's terms are different.) What's the ET rate (ours is so bad we're like the scourge of Washington)? What sectors are there? How many volunteers? Are there a lot of postings in Kingston or Portmore? What's the volunteer atmosphere like? Do you live with a host family the whole time or just for training or not at all? Any input you could give me would be great. If you just reply to this comment it'll email to me -- Thanks!
http://safaribeth.livejournal.com

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.